Friday, June 7, 2013

A Three Lettered Word.

Joy

   I've been thinking about that word lately. That small word doesn't do justice to the huge emotion it describes. To be joyful in all circumstances is tough. In fact I would go as far as to say that to be joyful in all circumstances is a lost art in humanity today. how much easier is it to give a reason for discomfort or unfairness than to look at the good that MIGHT possibly come out of the situation.
  
   Joy is something that HAS to be INSTIGATED. Thinking back to the many different times I have FELT joy, the feeling was never felt without an accompanying action. I guess a good metaphor in describing joy would be drinking a energy drink. You can eye it, talk about it, and even substitute it, but without actually opening the lid - you'd never taste and receive the Energy.  Which is why I think it is mentioned in Galatians as a fruit of the spirit. To acquire fruit there is quite a bit of effort involved I would know, due to our WONDERFUL patch of strawberries I have become well acquainted with the actions of  planting, watering, weeding, all the way down to the picking. Being JOYFUL is hard business and it takes practice but thats what makes us SALT and LIGHT in a world that is BLAND and DARK. Sometimes we need to be that ray of sunshine people encounter. 

   Nehemiah 8:10 says  that the "Joy of the lord is your strength"--- So what would happen if instead of complaining about rough and ugh things in our life we instead focused on the ways that God is moving and working to fulfill HIS good purpose in our lives. Having joy about the items on the "TO DO" list that is waiting to be accomplished makes each task bearable and I would go as far as to say enjoyable. Even if you are exhausted and running on the last bit of steam to do something you love because you love doing it makes whatever it is a breeze. 


   PERSPECTIVE is the key to complete and unspeakable joy. Shifting our perspective off our definition of "Good" and on to God's definition of "Good" is the only way to live a life that is satisfying and fulfilling. Life isn't Rainbows and unicorns - its more like mistakes, uncertainty and failure that we are bound to be plaged by; but if we fix our eyes on what really matters and are reminded of what already took place to make that misery temporary there is no reason that joy should not overflow. 



No comments:

Post a Comment