Thursday, October 24, 2013

Rainbows.

What is the first thing that comes to your mind? 

Promise. 


        

It is beautiful isn't it? 

          Lately I've been reading the legend and story of Noah... I went back and started at the beginning and let me tell you the stories that I was told by my sunday school teachers... they were Great children's tales... but they weren't very accurate.
        How we turned God regretting his decision to make man; and wiping out EVERY living, breathing soul off the face of this planet into one of the most famous children's stories is a mystery to me.
        Sure they have the main points correct . . .but If you take away the horror and the reason behind the flood and ONLY Emphasize some cute animals on a perfectly tinted and drawn ark you have lost the point. 

      God was vicious and wrathful, but God was gracious. Gracious to one man and his family. . . and a whole bunch of animals... Obviously. 
      I guess the real question I should be asking is, how did something so beautiful come out of something so ugly? funny - Beauty from filth is one of Gods specialties. 
So after God has had his vengeance on a people who disregarded his ways he remembers Noah. A man righteous in his sight. .  . In other words he would be like the teachers pet. That one kid that when everyone else is acting up is sitting perfectly and actually being obedient. 
    After the waters are gone God opens the doors and makes a promise; a promise that he will never demolish human life by water or floods again and the rainbow is his signature on the dotted line. 
That Is the Magic of the rainbow. . . all though it is one of the most beautiful. I believe it is more than the pretty colors that make it alluring -  It is the connotation of a promise. 
Life from death. 

One of my favorite songs contains these lyrics. . .


So, all this is to say that next time you walk into a nursery and see a big painting of an ark - remember His words and what his promise means - that God is gracious, and since he NEVER changes he still extends his graciousness to us today. 

Have a good one! 



No comments:

Post a Comment