I love reading... and out of real books. WHHHHHHHHAT? You may be asking.... but Yep, they still exist believe it or not...and as the summer has allowed I've read 3.
SOUL CRAVINGS by Erwin McManus
RISK IS RIGHT by John Piper
TRAUMA PLAN by Candace Calvert
I'm working on two others at the moment, but the one I'm most excited about finishing is a subsection of another book -
ECCLESIASTES.
I currently have one chapter to go, and I am actually pretty sad about it! Bittersweet is a better word. This summer has been a work summer and contentment, enjoyment and value have been words I have pondered numerous times --- all of which this book contemplates -- which is why I think this book has been my favorite!
Words of wisdom like "There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat, drink, and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God" (Ecc. 2:24-25)
Questions like "For whom am I toiling and depriving myself of pleasure?" (Ecc. 4:8b) remind me where my focus is. Actually chapter 4 alone gave me a lesson on contentment and how much better it is then to have being the best and having the BEST be my drive and reason for doing things.
Even the lesson on satisfaction... man that was another good one - Chapter 6 describes this evil that lurks and as you read and pick up clues you find that the evil it is talking about is unsatisfaction. The fact that people can have EVERYTHING yet be unhappy. Truth is... If YOU are not satisfied with what God gives you ... then you'll NEVER be satisfied.
In the past people I have talked to have said its a hard book; and honestly .... it is. It challenges a soul and brings life and death into focus. questions the things society values and will confront you. As I have read I've kinda found a theme, and if i had to summarize this book this is what I would say.
"Without a purpose life is meaningless
and
the only way to completely enjoy life
(the ups and the downs and everything in between)
is by having a focus on and purpose driven by Christ."
I challenge you to read it for yourself change your perspective.
Don't worry... its not such a hard book.
No comments:
Post a Comment